Saturday, March 19, 2011

Hard Boiled Eggs

Thursday, before our town's St. Patricks Day parade, our Friends of the Library group had a bake sale.  Since I'm still kitchenless my baking is somewhat limited.  So, I cleaned out the boys egg supply and put cute little green tags on the cartons that read FARM FRESH BROWN and WHITE EGGS.  They sold very well but I had several comments about how hard it is to peel boiled eggs.

Buff Orpingtons Chickens - they lay brown eggs.  The guy
with the red comb and waddle was the meanest chicken in the
county but, someone ate him last summer.  We heard he was tastey.
Then, yesterday one of our employees brought dinner for all of us.  Eric made chili and deviled eggs because he just felt like cooking Thursday night (Joe please take note!).  The deviled eggs had chopped bacon in them - YUMMY.  Never have done that before but it was really good.  Eric and his family have laying chickens as well, but he had his wife pick up eggs at the grocery store so they would be easier to peel (Older eggs peel more easily than fresh ones because there is more air inside the shell.)
 
I have a solution for peeling fresh eggs!  I read this somewhere a long time ago - probably Martha Stewart - and it actually works.  After you cover the eggs in the pot with cold water, put salt in the water.  Not a teaspoon or tablespoon - I mean lots of salt.  When I do a dozen eggs (My boys love hard boiled eggs - they eat them like apples) I use a 1/4 cup of salt.  The salt taste does not come through the shell.  But those eggs just pop out of the shells.
 
I don't think there is anything dangerous about doing this but try at your own risk.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment