Tuesday, May 3, 2011

And ...They're Off!!!!

Early yesterday morning in balmy 29F weather, Joe and Dad filled the planter and headed out to start planting corn!  And, then my mom took Joe back to the hospital.  Since Saturday night Joe has had a difficult time breathing (one of those bodily functions that most of us need).  After a couple of trips to the hospital between Sunday and Monday, the doctors think he is having an allergic reaction to his allergy meds.  Kind of ironic - isn't it?  The doctors told Joe to rest the next two days while they figure out what is going on.  Ha!  I did put one of the boys camping cots and a sleepy bag in the meeting room so when Joe does decide to listen to the doctors there will be a soft spot for him to land. 

Am I happy with Joe for not heeding the doctor's instructions - no.  However, I have come to the conclusion that it does no good for me to get upset and throw a temper tantrum because he will go back and do what needs to be done - plant corn "BECAUSE it's May 3rd and the corn needs to get in the ground."  I'm not sure if this is a guy thing or a farmer thing.  I'm leaning to towards that farmer thing because I have seen several farmers over that past few weeks that have really bad colds, sinus infections, or walking pneumonia and won't rest for a day or so because they have too much to do.  A neighbor ended up in the hospital about a week ago due to a respirtory infection.  Thank goodness his daughter was home from college and could do the milking.

Farmers believe that they must keep going because others are relying on them whether it be livestock, employees, or crops that need to be planted.  And, most of the time they are correct but farmers also need to remember that they are not invisible and that they are replaceable.  Joe had a boss several years ago that always said that everyone is replaceable.  The thing is I don't want to replace Joe or any other farmer out there!  So, if any other farmers are reading this PLEASE TAKE CARE OF YOURSELVES!  I know it is the 3rd of May AND there is a lot of crop to get planted AND we don't know how many good days we are going to get in the next few weeks.  But, I know nobody wants to replace you either.

Since I was running solo in the seed warehouse yesterday and we were short a body I did not get a picture of the Dad making the first pass with the planter.  Maybe in a day or so when Joe has rested up I can snap a picture.  HA!  Well, I think I'm done ranting - have a good day and be safe out there.

1 comment:

  1. That makes things extra crazy for you!! Roger got hurt a few years ago during weigh wagon season, and I know how crazy that was! Take care of yourself now and be safe planting!

    ReplyDelete