Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The First Day of Spring

I really hope that the first day of summer is warmer than the first day of spring.   This is a picture of the car thermometer on the way home from taking son #1 to piano lessons this morning.



I know warmer weather is right around the corner but I would prefer it would be sooner than later.  

Monday, school let out early due to snow and strong winds.  It was a good call as the roads went from normal  winter driving to ice/snow covered in a matter of minutes.  I guess I'm still a kid at heart because early outs are still fun for me.  It gives that kids an opportunity to get homework done sooner during the day, get a few more chores and work done outside, and still have time for a great family supper and a family game in the evening as there aren't any evening school activities. 

There were halibut fillets in the freezer just waiting for an evening when we would have time to actually enjoy them.  So, Monday was the evening.  One thing Joe and I learned while living in Minnesota was that grilling season starts January 1st and ends December 31st.  It may take a little more time for the grill to warm up in the winter but it is well worth it. 



 
 
Unfortunately I cannot remember where I found this recipe for grilled halibut but four out of five Shirbrouns deemed it good. 

Barbecue Halibut
     2 Tbsp Butter
     2 Tbsp Brown sugar
     2 Cloves Garlic
     1 Tbsp Lemon juice
     1 Tbsp Soy sauce
     1/2 tsp Black pepper
     Halibut steaks or fillets

Preheat grill for medium-high heat.

Place butter, brown sugar, garlic, lemon juice, soy sauce, and pepper in a small saucepan.  Warm over medium heat , stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved.

Oil grill grate.  Brush fish with brown sugar sauce, and place on grill. 


Cook for 5 minutes per side, or until fish can be easily flaked with a fork, basting with sauce.  Enjoy!


I think would be a great sauce for salmon as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment