Friday, March 16, 2012

Friday's Favorite Farm Recipe

Meet Darcy Dougherty Maulsby

I met Suzanne when we were both in Class IV of the Iowa Corn Growers’ I-LEAD ag leadership program. We have a lot in common, since we’re both Iowa farm girls who know our way around the field and the kitchen.
Darcy & Suzanne in Seoul, South Korea, on I-LEAD mission trip.

I grew up on a corn, soybean, and swine farm in west-central Iowa, between Lake City and Yetter. Now I live just a mile south of the Century Farm where I grew up and enjoy having the opportunity to help run the field cultivator and the combine.

Since 2002, I have owned my own marketing/communications company (www.darcymaulsby.com) and work with ag clients around the world. I help them with everything from magazine articles, advertorials, sales materials, and newsletters to feature stories for their websites. I also help out with photography and video assignments.

I also love to cook, so when I’m not at my desk or in the field, you’ll find me in the kitchen. Since I have a sweet tooth, I love desserts and have included recipes for some of my favorite treats in this blog. I invite you to follow my updates on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/darcy.maulsby and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/darcymaulsby.

Grasshopper Fudge Cake

(This is so good that you may not be able to stop with just one piece!)

1 box white cake mix (plus water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix box)

2 teaspoons mint extract or crème de menthe

12 drops green food color

1 to 2 jars (16 oz each) hot fudge topping

1 container (8 oz) frozen whipped topping, thawed

Thin rectangular crème de menthe chocolate candies, unwrapped and cut into pieces, if desired

Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Spray bottom only of 13x9-inch pan with baking spray with flour. Make cake batter as directed on box, adding 1 1/2 teaspoons of the mint extract with the water. Reserve 1 cup batter. Stir 3 drops of the green food color into reserved batter; set aside. Pour remaining batter into pan. Drop green batter by generous tablespoonfuls randomly in 12 to 14 mounds onto batter in pan. Cut through batters with metal spatula or knife in S-shaped curves in one continuous motion. Turn pan one-fourth turn; repeat cutting for swirled design. Bake as directed on box for 13x9-inch pan. Run knife around sides of pan to loosen cake. Cool completely, about 1 hour. Carefully spread fudge topping evenly over cake. In medium bowl, stir whipped topping, remaining 1/2 teaspoon mint extract, and remaining 9 drops green food color. Spread whipped topping mixture evenly over fudge. Garnish with candy pieces.



Darcy, thank you for sharing your recipe with us.  I can't wait to try it myself.  By the way, I really like the chickens on the dish washer. 

Suzanne

I definately need to make this cake!



No comments:

Post a Comment